Monday 17 April 2017

A Few 'Hairy Ladies'

With a few female Hairy Dragonflies having already emerged from the garden pond, usually in the hours of darkness, I have had to wait till the following morning to try to capture a few shots of the coloured up females before taking them back to where I found the nymphs to release them. Its always a nice feeling to see them successfully emerge and study up close the details of the pristine wings which are a work of art in themselves and awaiting their first flight. Having released a few this year, I have then spent some time watching them warm up where the wings start to vibrate and when ready, the maiden flight is made, normally up into the trees where they can mature before returning back to the water to hopefully find a mate. Hopefully it will be a good season for this species which has a short flight period compared to most hawkers but like seeing the first Swallow, hearing the first Cuckoo, seeing the first Hairy Dragonfly of the year is certainly one of those special moments for me to see that I await every year in anticipation. 



Hairy Dragonfly (female)

7 comments:

  1. Many thanks Johnny, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are delightful images, Marc. As Hairy Dragonfly is not common in these parts, my opportunities for seeing them are limited, and I've only ever seen males! The best place I know for them is only open on the last Sunday of each month, and on Wednesday Evenings from 18h00 to 20h00. Hopefully I'll be there soon.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. They ate stunning little dragonflies, I wish you all the best finding them and hopefully look forward to some photos from you.

      Delete