Monday 19 June 2017

Dazzling Demoiselles

I spent a few hours on Sunday morning at Nethergong where the aim was to see if any Emerald Damselfly could be found and then hopefully locate a few exuviae of this species which I could add to my growing collection. However, despite a good search of the long grasses alongside the stream and reeds on the waters edge for any exuviae, I drew a blank on both fronts. Hopefully they will emerge during this warm spell this week and I may encounter them during next weekend. I did spend a short while pond dipping at the stream which produced 3 Emerald Damselfly nymphs of good size which looked like they may emerge soon. As I then sat back at the waters edge having a drink, I noticed a good number of Banded Demoiselle patrolling the stream and this kept me occupied as they flew out every now and then to either catch prey, chase females or intruders. It was this point that I decided that rather than walk around searching in the heat, I would sit back and try to get a few photographs of the males and just enjoy the experience of these stunners. Its easy to overlook them as they speed down the stream quickly but when perched and quite close, the detail and colours on them is nothing short of incredible. As I had been sat patiently at the stream, a few male Banded Demoiselle moved in and rested on the reeds which gave me the perfect excuse to take a number of photos. I noticed with one male that he would fly out to catch prey and after returning back to the perch, would spread his wings a few times which provided yet more photo opportunities. I really can't get enough of this species and hopefully will have a few more encounters with the camera this season. Also noted as I sat at the stream were 2 Emperor Dragonfly, 2 Hairy Dragonfly, 1 Norfolk Hawker, 1 Four spotted Chaser and good numbers of Blue tailed and Azure Damselfly. I'm hoping to get out at the weekend for another search of this area as well as trying to fit in a trip to Westbere to see how the Norfolk Hawkers are doing. From what I am being told, they are having a good season in east Kent with sightings at a number of locations. 






Banded Demoiselle (male)


6 comments:

  1. Marvellous stuff, Marc! I particularly like the third image, where it has wings open.

    Recently back from Scotland, so have probably missed some of your posts - will look back shortly. We had very disappointing weather. It was cloudy most of the time, windy all the time, and wet for some of the time every day. I only managed less than an hour total of being by ponds in sunshine, but did manage to get WFD and Northern Damsel. Photography was rubbish, however, because of the wind - everything blowing about.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I've yet to add Northern Damselfly to my list and I suppose I should plan something at some point to see them. I may have to pick your brains for sites etc. Look forward to seeing any photos from your trip.

      Delete
    2. Happy to give you the info at any time, Marc. A sure-fire location for Northerns, plus a WFD site a mile or so up the road. Best wishes - - Richard

      Delete
  2. The Banded Demoiselle are superb, I love the way it stands, just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. It was nice for a change to capture one with the wings open.

      Delete
  3. Stunning pictures as usual Marc.

    ReplyDelete