Sunday 14 January 2018

First Dip of the Year

I decided yesterday and today to spend a few hours at Grove Ferry where as well as a bit of birding, the aim was to do a bit of net dipping in one of the dykes to see what dragonfly and damselfly nymphs could be found. I had made a few visits to this dyke last season where a good range of species were noted and I hoped that a few of them would use this ditch to breed in.

Grove Ferry Dyke

I spent an hour or so walking up and down the dyke and managed yesterday to find 3 Emperor Dragonfly nymph, 1 Hairy Dragonfly nymph and a few Azure / Blue tailed Damselflies. The surprise came when I netted a Hawker nymph which at first I thought could have been a Norfolk Hawker nymph but a quick scrutiny through the 10x hand lens to check the shape of the Epiproct and length of the Cerci revealed that this was a Migrant Hawker nymph.
 

Migrant Hawker Nymph
 
I have often wondered if I was to net a Norfolk Hawker nymph whether I could take photos of it in the tray and then publish them on my website and blog. I am aware that they are a protected species and mustn't be collected etc but surely, just taking photos on site and then returning it safely back to the water won't do any harm will it? I aim to return to this site on a number of occasions and may well at some point net one of these. I am also seeking permission hopefully to be able to walk on both sides of the dykes to search and collect a few exuviae as the season progresses. I would like to know others thoughts on this situation if possible as I wouldn't want to find myself in a wrong situation. I returned again this morning to Grove Ferry where after speaking to the local birders, I spent another hour netting in the dyke. I managed to find 2 Emperor Dragonfly nymph including 1 pretty much fully grown individual, 1 Hairy Dragonfly nymph and 1 Migrant Hawker nymph which was again checked as to make sure that it wasn't a Norfolk Hawker nymph.
 

Migrant Hawker Nymph
 
 Its interesting to read that the Migrant Hawker eggs don't hatch until early spring where they then develop rapidly and emerge after a few months. I have read that they cannot tolerate our cold waters in winter so why am I finding nymphs now for? I can only assume they didn't develop in enough time to emerge and so are seeing out the winter in order to emerge this year. Something else for me to research and see what answers I can find. Although no adults will be flying for a few months yet, its nice to get the season off to a start with a few nymph sessions. Roll on next weekend.
 
Migrant Hawker Nymph (showing Epiproct shape)
 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Marc. I don't know if BDS can help you with an answer to your dilemma. I see that the Brooks and Cham field guide says that "it is illegal to handle and collect these species without a licence from Natural England". If one was pedantic one could say that you only wish to 'handle' and not 'handle and collect', but then that's just Brooks and Cham wording - the law could be worderd differently. Given your level of expertise and your dedication to studying the life-cycle of these creatures, I reckon that it would be worth your while applying for a licence. This might, however, require you to have a learned sponsor (BDS?).

    A great series! Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard for your reply. I have tried to direct message the BDS on Twitter to ask but as of now, I have not had a reply. Hopefully they will get back to me. I personally don't see what's wrong with a few photos in a tray providing the nymph is returned to where it was found. Having said that, if the law states no handling etc, then that's what I will have to do.

      Delete
  2. Migrant Hawker, beautiful Nymph. Marc, this is outstanding, cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Bob. Certainly nice to find them as I don't often come across this species much as a nymph.

      Delete