Monday 14 May 2018

Emerging Downy Emerald

With my main targets last weekend at Thursley Common to see and photograph a Downy Emerald and find an exuviae which were all nicely accomplished, I thought I might have an outside chance of finding and photographing part of or all of an emergence of this species. I must have timed my visit quite nicely as throughout the session, I found 5 Downy Emerald emerging and probably missed quite a few others I suspect as most were well hidden. Whilst some were in rather precarious positions, I was able to get myself into an area where one was emerging and although not the best angle for photos, I was quite pleased with the results. I annoyingly missed the start but was then able to sit or balance for a while as I watched my first ever emergence of a Downy Emerald. Their choice of emergence sites was sometimes puzzling as it seemed they didn't have enough room to emerge in but somehow with their long spider like legs, the ones I saw managed to successfully emerge. After spending some times resting up, most then flew up into the nearby trees and a couple flew into the nearby long grasses. As ever, a real privilege to witness this and always nice to personally see something I have not seen before. With all the action now coming thick and fast and with my first Banded Demoiselles and Scarce Chasers seen and photographed yesterday at Westbere Lakes, it wont be too long until the next post arrives to showcase these beautiful insects.
 











Emerging Downy Emerald


8 comments:

  1. Superb images - I like the "wild" perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wilma. It was certainly wild alright. Water nearly up to the top of my wellies for these shots, midges biting etc. Worth it though to look back at my efforts.

      Delete
  2. That is look life hard work, beneath that, he'll turned beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never ceases to amaze me what nature can deliver to surprise us. Hope it's a good season for them.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic shots Marc, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mike. A species I probably thought I would not see emerging but with some luck and good timing, I certainly made the most of it.

      Delete
  4. A fabulous sequence, Marc! A bit disappointed that missed witnessing such an event when I visited on Monday. Still, at least I saw some.

    Best wishes - - - Richard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Richard. I would have thought with your visit being so close to mine that you would have got some emerging. No doubt they only emerge of a short period.

      Delete